Bob’s Version: Florida Bound Day 7

Day 7 Sunday 12/10/2017.

Thought I’d be only one or two days from Live Oak, FL. By now. However, weather, road conditions and equipment failures has slowed progress.  I’m less than happy but it is what it is. I’m alive and well in spite of two ex-wives, likely, wishing otherwise.  I am the poster boy for ” You can’t fix stupid”.
Traveling these atrocious roads is a lot like drag racing.  There is no substitute for ‘cubic money’.  Left The racist town of Whitesport in the pitch dark at about 7:00 AM.  About 8:30 the new tire from yesterday came to pieces.  It was light enough that I could see the tread flapping before it cam off the rim.
A long relatively slow ride to Edmnuton ensued.  There I found a chain store called Canadian Tire that had two tires with rims. Only problem was that they were at a store 12 miles away.   Still with no tire on the rim I drove across town with about every other car waving at me and pointing back at the trailer. I kept waving and nodding.  This happened all along the 4 lane, rutted, bumpy, broken road that the Canadians cheerfully refer to as a “freeway”   It is free but it is barely a “way”.  I made my way across town by listening to the Google Maps lady.  After about 3 hours and $400 later I had a good tire on the ground and a second spare.
Finally, on the road, I set the Google lady to work getting me to Saskatoon.  As near as I can figure she didn’t want to go.  She led me down side street after side street and, ultimately, down a residential culdesac.  I was stuck in a place where turning Spike and the 28′ trailer around was a near impossibility.  If there hadn’t been two cars in the circle it might not have been such a hassle.  It took me twenty minutes of maneuvering to extricate myself.  After that fiasco I decided to ignore the Google lady and just look at the map and navigate myself.  I’m old enough that I still know how to read a map.
At 5:30 PM in the pitch dark I ended my trek in Lloydminster. No one I asked could explain the name. Pulled into the Home Depot parking lot for the night.  There was a Denny’s about 100 yards back down the parking lot and a liquor store behind me about 100 feet.  What a wonderfully awesome coincidence.
I fed the poor put upon canines, Suzy and Gandy. They’d had a very difficult day barking at passers by and the crew at the tire store. Lighted the heater while they finished eating and called it a day.  The wind is blowing like crazy and shaking the trailer so much that the tip over switch keeps tripping and turning the stove off.  I will likely move the trailer so that it is facing into the wind instead of broadside to it.
I’m sitting here trying to decide Grand Slam or Country Fried Steak.   The last restaurant food I’ve eaten was McDonalds back in Anchorage. Mostly been eating C Store sandwiches or making myself a sandwich after I have fed the dogs.
Moved the truck/trailer to face upwind I decided to skip Denny’s. I’ve done a bit of sailing and I can tell you that the wind is 30+ with gusts well over 40.  It’s another roast Beef/Frito sandwich for me tonight.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.